BC FISH CANADA 2NDLD (CORRECTED)/Canada angrily denies it harassed Spanish ships
By Robert Kozak
OTTAWA Canada angrily rejected European Union charges on Thursday that its patrol boats had again tried to seize Spanish fishing trawlers and cut their nets in international waters off Canada's east coast.
Canada also called in EU Ambassador John Beck and telephoned three other European ambassadors, saying the Union was foolish and irresponsible to accept allegations by a Spanish captain that Canada tried to harass the Spanish vessels late on Wednesday night local time.
"We know now that the person making foreign policy on
behalf of the European Union is some Spanish fishing captain
floating around somewhere off the coast of Newfoundland,"
Canadian Fisheries Minister Brian Tobin told reporters.
The European Commission called in Canada's ambassador in
Brussels on Thursday to protest what it called hostile and
illegal actions.
Tensions have been high since March 9 when Canadian patrol
boats seized a Spanish trawler after firing across its bow,
alleging the vessel was overfishing. The boat was later freed
after its owners posted a bond with a Newfoundland court.
Canada later cut the nets of another Spanish trawler as
talks to settle the dispute dragged on.
Canada said three of its patrol boats tried to identify
six Spanish fishing vessels in a area known as the tail of the
Grand Banks off the coast of Newfoundland late on Wednesday.
But Tobin denied charges they had tried to seize any vessels.
"If that were the intention of Canada, we have
demonstrated our ability to do both, and such an action could
have and would have been carried out," he said.
The allegations heightened tensions as the EU and Canada
both reported making progress towards reaching a deal on
sharing quotas for Greenland halibut, also known as turbot.
A Canadian Foreign Ministry spokesman said the government
had summoned Ambassador Beck and then phoned the ambassadors
of Germany, France and Spain to inform them of the
conversation.
Canadian officials have hinted they have harassed the
Spanish trawlers, making it more difficult for them to fish.
In a sharply worded statement in Brussels, the EU
executive accused Canada of a "further flagrant violation of
international law on the high seas."
Spanish fishing trawlers have continued to fish in
disputed fishing zones while diplomats have hammered out the
tentative deal in Brussels. A draft agreement could be
presented to EU foreign ministers on Monday.
Officials have been working to reach a new regime to
reallocate quotas for the Greenland halibut. But Spain has
objected to certain aspects of the deal and threatened to
scuttle any agreement unless the EU gets half the permitted
29,700 ton (27,000 metric tonne) 1995 catch of Greenland
halibut.
The two have also argued over a law that Canada passed
last year to give it the right to seize vessels outside its
200 nautical mile limit if fish stocks are in danger. The EU
and Spain reject Ottawa's claim of jurisdiction on the high
seas.